Friday, October 28, 2011

The Weight Issue

So, I went costume shopping with my boyfriend a few days ago.  When we entered the store I headed straight to the plus size section because (though I am not obese I am most definitely overweight) I really thought that the Large sized costume would be too small.  So I try on the Extra Large Miss Krueger costume. (The costume is just so cute! I love the way the dress and the hat look together and I know it'd be super sexy with some fishnet stockings and knee high boots!)  I come out of the dressing room and look into the mirror.  The dress is not flattering at all.  It goes down to like my knees and is really baggy...and I still had on my jeans and shirt underneath. The salesgirls looks at me and gives a small chuckle.  She says "You know you went to the plus size section right? Let me get you the Large." Now, I am not a small girl. I have broad shoulders, no hips (tragic!), and a belly.  If I was actually athletic I'd have that athletic boyish frame that some girls have.  I think I look like I should be shopping in the plus size section (my boyfriend always disagrees when I say this).  I just didn't want to have to go a size up so I just started at a larger size. Why all of this psychology to try on a costume?

I can't lie, having to buy a smaller size made me feel good (and the large did look and fit much better).  But I also felt guilty for being happy that I didn't have to buy a plus size costume.  Am I wrong?

I've struggled, like many others, with my weight for most of my life.  I really began gaining between 4th and 5th grade.  I had always been a bit chubby but by the time I was 10 or 11 I had really ballooned.  I played no sports throughout elementary school and most of high school, and when I expressed interest in playing my mother always told me that she didn't want me to so I couldn't.  In 10th or 11th grade I tried out for the softball team.  After two weeks I was cut.  But in those two weeks I lost ten pounds.  I wasn't really upset about getting cut.  I was more upset because I wanted to lose more weight.  By the time I graduated high school I was definitely over 190lbs.

I attended college in another state. I had no car and my only means of transportation were my legs, the bus, and the train.  My campus was a town in itself and if the buses ran at an inconvenient time I was walking to class.  I was subconsciously choosing healthier meals in the dining halls and my funds were limited so I rarely ordered fast food or takeout.  Unsurprisingly, after two years in school I had unknowingly lost 30lbs.  I couldn't see it but everyone else could. My junior year of college began September of 2007 and I started using the gym to tone up my body.  My conditioning was pretty good from walking everywhere so I would run 30 minutes non stop and then spend between 20-30 minutes in the weight room. I was looking and feeling pretty damn good!

What the hell happened???!

It is now 2011 and I have gained back every single pound that I lost. I don't go to the gym nearly as much as I should and my diet, at times, is pretty atrocious.  There are times when I eat very very healthy. But then there are times when I eat takeout everyday.

Now I know that people are beautiful no matter what the size.  And the recent fat bias in America is pretty disgusting.  There is a new form of prejudice against obese and overweight people (ESPECIALLY women) that is sickening.  But I still want to lose weight.  It doesn't FEEL good to be kind of sloppy and inactive.

So how do I drop the pounds without feeling like a "sell out"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment